Thursday, March 20, 2008

One down, five to go.

I've been gone from Columbus for a month today. It doesn't seem like it has been that long. I honestly don't even want to think about it... if the rest of my stay goes this fast, I will feel as though I've only been here for a couple of weeks.

My days through the week have a pretty predictable pattern. Getting up, getting ready, having breakfast (there is so much fresh fruit I don't know how to contain myself). Several days a week, the team gets together to pray for everything that is going on, and on Tuesday mornings we have a staff meeting to discuss progress and upcoming projects. During the day we are busy with house work, running errands, and doing administrative work for the projects we are involved in. The late afternoon is a good time to do home visits with families in Los Anonos. Most of the ministry however takes place in the evenings when people are home from work and school.

In the near future we are going to start/resume several projects that I will be heavily involved in. Every other Saturday, we will be doing clean-up in the community. This basically means picking up trash as there is a huge litter problem here and the river water is very unsafe. I will also be starting an English program for a small class of adults. Next week, I am meeting with an attorney in San Jose, Rosio, who has access to a great free dental clinic. We would like for more people in the community I live in to be aware and take advantage of this opportunity. So, I will be doing some organization to get that up and running.

On Monday, I will be starting with a Spanish tutor. His name is David and he is originally from Columbia. He will be working with me for about four hours a week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have always known that Holli has so much to offer to so many, for so little. I will pray for the young gal with the drug addiction as I will for you, to continue to do such wonderful work in God's name. I thank God for his gift to me (you) every day! I am sooo proud to say you are my daughter. May God continue to shower his blessings upon you and all of those you come in contact with. XOXOXO MOMMA