Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Surprises

I made it into Newark, NJ at about 1am on Tuesday. The pastor from Rodney and Cindy's church picked me up. I've been staying with their family and friends at the Vineyard Eastern Regional Pastors' Conference in Bushkill, PA. The conference has been great, and I'm enjoying getting to represent Harvest Hands here. Our hope is to make some connections with other churches that would be interested in partnering with the ministry long-term and/or through short-term mission trips.

While being here at the conference and in the States, I've experienced some surprises...
  1. It is hard to break the habit of not throwing TP into a wastebasket. Flushing TP is a luxury that we in the States take for granted.
  2. Fuel and fast-food are more expensive than I remember them being five months ago.
  3. I can understand everyone's conversations around me. I am even noticing that I am understanding stranger's conversations/comments that pass by me. Oh, how I pray I don't lose what little Spanish I have acquired over the past four months!!!
  4. Some worship songs are just better in another language... I prefer Dulcemente Quebrantado about ten times over to Sweetly Broken.
  5. The church family from Rodney and Cindy's church feels like extended family. I feel so welcome and supported by them. I hope the relationship continues.
  6. My grandma, aunt, and cousin surprised me at the hotel last night! They were driving through PA (about 8.5 hours from home) and made a point to see me. I was able to have dinner and spend a couple of hours with them after the evening session. :-) It was great to have a surprise visit from those that I love so dearly.

There are only five weeks remaining for my stay in Costa Rica, but for now I am looking forward to being back home in Anonos on Saturday.

4 comments:

Gerbicks said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, my birthday friend. i woke up this morning thinking "it's my birthday...no, it's holli's birthday...no, it's my birthday..." 27 is a good year, i will let you know how 28 progresses so you can prepare for next year. i hope you find a restaurant similar to the japanese steakhouse so you can have your usual bday meal! miss you lots.

stevenjames said...

i hear you on #4...

stevenjames said...

dang, yeah i missed the 13th, so sorry!! it is in my mac entourage though...

Harvest Hands Los Anonos said...

You still in New Jersey??