Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The sounds

I'll be flying out of Costa Rica in less than two weeks. I'm already thinking about things that I'll miss. Mostly I'll miss people. My family here: Rebecca, Rodney, Cindy, and Tito; those in Anonos, friends from church, and the staff at Funda Vida.

When short-term teams leave the house, Rodney always prays that they would remember the sounds. There are so many sounds that seem like they only fall on my ears; they belong to no one else. I hope that I will not forget them.

Rebecca's faux-phone alarm going off in the morning; the egg-man's muffled megaphone screams "trenta huevos para un mil"; a kid in 'little managua' plays on his flutophone late at night; a bird outside my bedroom window sings the same tune all day long; the doorbell at Supernova indicates that more friends have arrived at church; and not lastly, but my alarm going off in the morning, telling me that God has granted me one more day in Anonos, to be with His people.

No comments: