Saturday, April 19, 2008

King Kong

There are many men and women in Los Anonos that are addicted to various substances. The most common drug is crack because of it being so inexpensive here. The river running through the community is highly polluted and brings many metals that people collect and sell to have money for their drug of choice. It is a daily occurrence to see someone with a canvas bag on their shoulder carrying their latest finds.

Harvest hands has had the privilege of befriending four men in particular in Anonos that are addicted to crack: Martin, Jason, Javier, and "King Kong".

This past Thursday, I was meeting a young man down near the planche (the gym) in the afternoon so that we could discuss with him the possibility of taking him to a place to have a home and education. I took him some leftovers since I knew that he hadn't eaten in a while. We had enough to make two plates, so I took two in case I ran into one of the above mentioned four men. I did.

As I was waiting, King Kong crossed the bridge towards me. I greeted him and asked if he was hungry. When I offered the food, he was grateful. As he walked away and immediately started eating his lunch, he looked back at me several times. I think he was surprised that a young lady that he has only seen around a few times would approach him in this manner.

The odd thing was that I think I was the one more blessed. The act of kindness made me feel more human than normal.

"Whenever you failed to do one of these things to someone who was being overlooked or ignored, that was me—you failed to do it to me." - Matthew 25.45

No comments: